How I spent my so-called vacation

Since it's Thursday evening of the rarest of all kinds of weeks - those I have off work - I thought I'd recap how my vacation has been spent so far.

Another Friday night shift has wrapped up, at 1 a.m. Saturday morning, so I head home to grab some much-needed sleep, planning to get up only in time to watch the Manchester United match online Saturday afternoon. I feel fine, just tired after a very long week.

Saturday - Day 1

I wake up to find that the site I use to watch the match posted the time wrong when I last checked it. It started 15 minutes earlier. Then I find that none of the streams will work. Skip ahead to missing all of the first half. I finally manage to get a working stream going well enough to watch the second half. It ends in a draw. That's ok. I can live with that. Gee, I'm awfully tired. I think I'll nap a bit more.
Later that evening....
I kind of feel like crap. Why am I so tired still? Is that a tickle in the back of my throat? Feels a little cold-esque. I shouldn't be surprised, having spent the last ten days at work next to someone coughing up a lung. Back to sleep.

Sunday - Day 2

*Cough, cough, cough* Ugh. My throat hurts. My whole body hurts. Seriously, from a headache to the individual joints in each of my toes. My WHOLE body aches. Seems more flu-ish now. Maybe even a bit strep-py. Take Motrin. Drink water. Sleep. Sleep. Sleep.....

Monday - Day 3

More of the same. Hot and cold flashes. Throat feels like it's being slashed apart from the inside with broken glass every time I cough. I have to swap cars with my mother. I get up and drag myself out for that. Lightheaded. Coughing. Hurting. Ugh. She offers to take me to the doctor. Mom, I haven't had insurance in almost 12 years. I don't even have a doctor anymore. Ok, how about the hospital? No, I'll just go home. She digs through her medicine cabinet to find me a bottle of antibiotics. Want to try these? Why not? Oh, it might actually kill me? I don't care. Home to more sleep. But wait! Vomiting and diarrhea. I wondered where you'd been.
Later that evening, I have to take Gin to cheer practice. While she's there, I decided to stop by Kroger to pick up some food. By the checkout line, I'm ready to pass out. Home to sleep, questionable meds, and more water.

Tuesday - Day 4

I swear these stupid DayQuil and NyQuil liqui-gels are getting bigger. Every time I swallow them they just get stuck at the top of my throat and hurt like hell. I don't feel like they're doing much for me either. Nothing on the agenda for today? Thank god! More water, sleep, pills, prayers for a merciful end to it all.
Gin's gone straight to bed after school. Coughing. Throat hurting. Crud.

Wednesday - Day 5

Gin not going to school. I call the doctor for her but they're booked for the day. Get an appointment for tomorrow. All day, she sleeps and I sleep. Evening rolls around and she's got cheer practice. She'd just skip it, but there's a competition this weekend and practices the week before are mandatory. She also needs the paperwork telling us the details. I drop her off so she can get her paperwork, and I swing by Kroger for a few more essentials before heading back to pick her up. Turns out, the competition is just for the dance team. We could have stayed home. Back home to sleep.

Thursday - Day 6

So that's up to today. Took Gin to the doctor, then to pick up her prescription (it's a bit of a throat and respiratory infection), then to lunch. Then I drop her off at my mother's while I head into the office. Wait! Isn't this your vacation week? Oh yeah, it is. But our Associated Press contest entries are due Friday and the boss just doesn't have anyone else who can do it, so I was asked/begged/coerced into coming in during my week off to do the entries. It won't take long, he says. He has no clue. Five hours worked today, just doing contest entries. Back tomorrow to finish them off before the 5 p.m. deadline. On the plus side, the questionable meds aren't killing me and might actually be helping me out a little too. At least I feel a whole lot more alive than I have all week. Oh goodie, just in time to go back to work on Monday.


WebRep
Overall rating
This site has no rating
(not enough votes)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans