A real weekend ... and a yummy snack - Chocolate Banana Smoothie

After a ridiculously long week - I was designated replacement for a reporter on vacation, in addition to my own work - I was glad to have a real weekend for a change.


I got up Saturday morning to watch my beloved Manchester United beat Wigan 4-0. It wasn't the blow out it sounds like though. The match was scoreless for the first half, and then when the second half came around, it was Paul Scholes - our veteran, our legend, playing his 700th match with United - who finally broke the drought. After that Chicharito (Javier Hernandez) sank one, then we had two new players making their home debuts, Alex Büttner and Nick Powell, each score. It was a good start to the day.

When the match was finished, the girls and I took a little trip to Troy for the Taste of Troy event. We got to try lots of yummy goodies from the local restaurants, and that always gives me good ideas for my own kitchen.

Munch spent the night at her dad's last night, but Gin didn't want to. We picked her back up today and did our weekly shopping.

This week's menu, tentatively, includes the following:

* Mini meatloaves and roasted potatoes

* Steak and baked potato (the girls love steak and it struck me that I almost never serve it. After seeing the prices at the grocery today, I was quickly reminded why. But this will be a little indulgence.)

* Buffalo chicken wraps (we had some buffalo chicken ravioli at Taste of Troy, and it gave me the idea)

* Beef and cheese quesadillas

We picked up a rotisserie chicken from the deli to eat tonight, accompanied by a nice salad.

And I threw together this little treat - kid-friendly and healthy snack that's great for after-school peckishness without spoiling dinner!

Chocolate Banana Smoothie

1/2 very ripe banana (the riper it is, the sweeter it is)
1-2 T. chocolate syrup (like Hershey's syrup)
2 T. vanilla yogurt
1/2 - 3/4 c. skim or lowfat milk (depending on how thick you/they like it)

Pulse in blender then run on high for about a minute or until smooth. Makes 1 generous serving.

Sooo simple, yet soooo good!

Comments

I have to admit, I don't like bananas but I wonder how the smoothie would taste without it.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans