Absent without excuses

Okay, I've been pretty busy, but not quite busy enough to really justify my absence here. I probably could have - should have, even - squeezed in a couple of posts here and there. But I didn't.

Catching up:

I helped my mom put up her new pool a couple of weeks ago. I spent four hours in the sun without sunscreen while doing it, so I got more than a little scorched. It stung for a couple of days, then itched, and it's been peeling ever since. I haven't actually gotten to swim in the pool yet.

I cut off more of my hair,so it's actually only about an inch long all over now - and blonde. I'm hoping it doesn't turn green when I do take advantage of the swimming pool. It's pretty cool. I've gotten a lot of compliments - and one or two glares or raised eyebrows. So what? I'm still a rock star. ;)

This weekend I picked some cherries, and I've started a batch of cherry liqueur. This is my first batch. I usually make wine. The liqueur will take much longer and is considerably more expensive to make (since I have to start with vodka, rather than actually creating my own alcohol, as with the wine), so I'm hoping it is really good. Decent vodka's fairly expensive, and I didn't want to start with the crap stuff, so I went with a premium brand. Hope it's worth it. Check back with me in about 4 to 8 months.

I'd been planning a trip to the zoo with the kids for last Saturday, but after checking the forecast I decided against it. There were severe thunderstorms all over the Midwest. I've rescheduled for June 19th, when I'm hoping the weather is better.

I couldn't reschedule for this weekend because of course the USA vs. England World Cup match is on Saturday afternoon. I've decided I'll go to my parents' house and hijack the big-screen TV to watch while the kids play in the pool. Everyone's happy that way. :)

I've been a bit down for a while, since my most valued friend has been AWOL from my life. I think it's actually been about two months since we last talked. That was a good one, so naturally, he disappeared afterward. I can't let it bother me too much - I've been through enough already.

I was informed today that I won't be paid for the last month of work that I did as a stringer before getting hired back full-time. My editor and my publisher both approved the invoice for the last month of work, but corporate sent it back and said they can't pay me as a stringer because I'm on payroll now - even though the work was done before I was on payroll. Complete bullshit. The compromise I was offered was cooked up by the editor and publisher, who decided I can take the equivalent as time off and it will just be put in as time worked. Hardly fair and I don't know when I'll manage to get that time in, as we're going through rounds of vacation now and I'm having to do other people's jobs in addition to my own.

I've got an overloaded plate at work. I suppose that's my big excuse, although it still doesn't justify my absence. But anyway, I'm back, for what it's worth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans