Somewhere .... out there

I was concerned Sunday night when it started up again. I was lying in bed, exhausted, staring at the inside of my sleep mask and waiting for rest to finally come. Somewhere around 5 a.m. Monday morning, it finally did. Unfortunately, my alarm sounds at 6:45 a.m., so there was little true rest to it.

It's been a long couple of weeks. Or months. Or years, really. But particularly, the last couple of weeks have been tiring. It seems every time I come in to work I find that another coworker is off for one reason or another, and I'm always the one asked to fill in. The choice is obvious, really. I can do more in the same time than anyone else in the office.

I'm not being arrogant. Frankly, I wish it weren't so. It's terribly frustrating. I watch my coworkers half-ass their way through the day, and it's fine with the powers that be. Me? I can't even force myself to slow down to their speed.

I've gotten fed up, to be sure. I am tired of always having the extra work piled on me because others aren't putting in the same effort. And to make it worse, not only are they doing it *slowly*, they're not even doing it *well*. I have high standards. I expect perfection, or something approaching it. They're not even *trying*.

And with all this, I make less at this job than I did 10 years ago when I started. That's less outright. $1 less per hour than when I started 10 YEARS AGO. Adjust that for inflation, and it's practically criminal.

I've put out my resume again. There's a nice job I'd very much like to get a call on this week. If not, I'll keep looking. I never stopped, really, but I hadn't been all that active at it. There's something out there for me somewhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans