Winter's officially here

It's happened. The evil white, flaky invaders have landed. Yes - I woke up to snow this morning. It was bound to happen sooner or later, but I prefer as much later as I can get. I suppose it's December now, so I can't complain too terribly much - as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

By the time I had to drive to the commission meeting for work tonight, the temperature was hovering around freezing, there was a light drizzle falling and a light fog had set in. I feared for the road conditions for the drive home, but it turned out that they weren't bad, yet. It was a good thing, too, because I was in such a rush yesterday that I didn't have time to get my new tires put on the front of my car, and the ones there now are quite bald.

Yesterday was Munch's Christmas program at school. I never look forward to those, because it's always a long and miserable experience, but it wasn't so bad this year. They've finally rearranged things so the K-4 student program and the band program are on separate nights, to reduce the number of family members attending at one time. They also finally set up the floor so they could open both sides of the bleachers in the gym. It's always been so crowded before that I've only once gotten a real seat. Twice I had to stand against the wall throughout it, once I was sitting on the floor, and once I actually couldn't even get into the gym, so I had to stand in the hallway! One year I dropped Gin off at the school and just came home instead. (She didn't mind. Munch would have, but Gin didn't care one way or the other.) The new arrangement allowed for much more seating and a much shorter program. It was a tremendous improvement. You see, it's a pretty small school, but it's a Catholic community with large, very involved families. For each child, there's generally a set of parents, one or two sets of grandparents, and any number of siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins attending. You can see why they had to do something to make it survivable for the audience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans