Valentine's Day Rant

I don't take credit for the following. My son Pooh wrote it and put it up on his Facebook page a couple of weeks ago. I reposted it to my wall, and a lot of my friends gave it good feedback, so I thought I would add it here as well.

***

If you don't want to hear a bunch of my angry thoughts, stop reading now!

If your house is on fire, and you're still sitting at your computer desk, stop reading now!

If you have a fear of things that are generally disorganized, stop reading now!


I feel like I need to get some things off my chest about Valentine's Day.

First off, I don't hate Valentine's Day because it's a "candy company holiday" or because it's cheesy and sappy, because you know what? I'm cheesy and sappy. I like the little romantic gestures. I like getting to perform the cheesy romantic gestures. I like singing a song to a girl and handing her a letter and a bouquet of flowers.

And you know what? Few people actually do hate it, because it's "cheesy." Most people hate it for the same reason as me. We're alone. Don't lie to yourself. If you hate Valentine's Day, it's probably because you're alone, and you hate seeing all the other happy couples who just remind you that you're alone. I know I do.

I made the mistake of wasting a Valentine's Day... because we both agreed that we didn't need a specific day to say that we loved each other. That day should be everyday! Sure, a valid point, but you don't have to specifically do nothing that day to boycott Valentine's Day! Guess what? Next year, there's still going to be a Valentine's Day. And there's nothing you can do to prevent it!

So, for those of us that are alone this year, know that I feel your pain. Every time we walk through Wal-Mart and see stuffed animals and boxes of candy and cards and gooey gooey gooey lovey goo, know that you're not alone.

And for those of you who do have someone, GO OUT AND DO SOMETHING! Show that person that you care about them! Don't waste it! I don't care how cheesy or sappy it seems, just show that person that you care about them, because some of us can't!

And don't come up with plans the day of, you lazy person! Plan ahead, reserve a restaurant. Get ice cream, go for a nature walk, go back to where your first date was. Make it special!

And don't stop there, because you know what, you really don't need a day to show someone that you care about them. But, chances are if you're not doing something for Valentine's Day, you're not doing anything any other day either. So, show your special someone that they really are special to you! Don't take them for granted!

I see so many people waste their time, just going with the flow. Go dancing or something! Go ice skating! Go see a play! It doesn't matter if you don't like to do those things. Do them anyway! Every day, all over the world, people abuse love. They take what they have for granted. Well, don't make that mistake.

I hate Valentine's Day, because I'm alone, and if I weren't I would have the most extravagant Valentine's Day celebration in the history of the world. But, most of all I hate it because the people who have someone, don't.



...Well, look at that. I started writing this to tell everyone how much I hated a holiday, and ended up telling them not to take love for granted.


Just so we're clear, I had to learn all this from experience. I was the guy who took the ones I loved for granted. And as usual, hindsight is 20/20. So, what I'm really telling you all is don't make the same mistake I did.

Comments

meretrisha said…
hey, this is quite a post..! belated happy Vday to you!

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans