Beef Fest Night Two: Lentil Stew

Before I got my beef delivery, I had planned on making a lentil stew. Well, since I still had a pound of ground in my refrigerator to use, I worked it into the recipe. This is what we came up with, and it turned out great. All the seasonings are just thrown in "to taste."

Lentil stew

1 pound crumbled ground beef
finely chopped onion (I sneak it in because my little one thinks she doesn't like onion)
basil (I used quite a bit)
garlic powder
italian seasoning (not a lot)
seasoned salt
chili powder (about a teaspoon was all)
cumin (just a few sprinkles)
parsley
coarsely ground black pepper

brown beef in slow cooker set on high for about an hour, breaking it up and stirring frequently

add shredded carrots
frozen corn
6-8 cups of water
2 cups lentils
beef bouillon

Reduce heat to low and let cook about four to six hours. (I soaked up the small amount of excess grease from the top with a paper towel after simmering for a little while.) I added a little cornstarch and water to thicken it up a bit at the end. It's good just as a stew or served over rice. Nice and hearty for a cold, wet day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
There is nothing shameless about being a coffee junkie... check my blogs out, I am rated 79% addicted to coffee - wonderful stuff.

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/
http://thingsthatfizz.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans