Tasty Italian sandwiches for dinner...before the wave of beef begins

My mother stopped by earlier and dropped off 175 pounds of frozen beef in my kitchen. Much scrambling of the freezer space later, I can say that I know what we'll be eating for a while. I might want to do some repackaging for some long term storage though. It looks good now, but I don't want to be left with 125 pounds of disgusting, freezer burned crap.

Since all the beef was frozen, I went another way for dinner tonight, and I made grilled Italian sandwiches. They were so good. I split a focaccia and cut it into four "buns" I brushed the split side with some olive oil mixed with garlic and Italian herbs and spices. Then I toasted it under the broiler (middle rack) just enough to lightly toast the bread. Topped it with shredded mozzarella and parmesan with just a little cheddar and monterey jack. Popped it back in just enough to melt the cheese, then topped it with super thin slices layered of hot capocollo, hot salame, pepper calabrese sausage and prosciutto and gave it another quick pop under the broiler just to crisp up the edges of the meats. I had mine with a little Dijon mustard. Oh, it was so good, but the sandwiches were huge. This could easily have fed six. The sandwiches can all be cut into appetizer portions for a tasty, hot treat.

Comments

Lola said…
Wow! Count your blessings. I wish someone would gift my family 175 pounds of frozen meat. We just got a freezer with the grocery store deal (buy it and get the same value in coupons, but it's all frozen junk food). Now that I bought the freezer I have no money to fill it with real food. Roasts, chickens, etc. But at least I was able to get the freezer so now I can take advantage of the sales when I get my monthly money.
Goddess said…
Believe me, I am definitely counting my blessings on this one. We've been on a lot of pork and chicken lately, because they're so much cheaper - and I've got a million recipes to make, so I don't mind at all! We'll be having Asian, Mexican, good-old fashioned homestyle American, French, Italian, you name it!

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans