"I want, I want, I want ... but that's crazy"

Friday, December 19, 2008

Haven't dropped off the face of the earth after all :)

Oh boy, have I been neglecting things around here! So I guess I should provide a little update....
Well, we've been having some nasty weather around here, and I've seen by the news that there's been some weather weirdness all over. Some friends in New Orleans sent photos of SNOW there last week. Most of the comments were along the lines of, "What the hell?!?! How do you drive in this sh*t?!" I even saw that Las Vegas - you know that city built in the middle of a DESERT - got 3.6 inches of snow yesterday.
Here in my little hamlet in Ohio, we got ice. Lots and lots of ice.
I went into the office Monday, as per my usual schedule. All was well then. Tuesday morning, I couldn't access the Internet from home, so I was forced to go to the office again, even thought that's my usual day to work from home. I finished up around 1 p.m. and headed home, because I've had to keep my days as short as possible these last two weeks. Use-it-or-lose-it policy for vacation hours. During the drive home, the temperature was dropping fast, and the freezing rain was starting up.
By the time Wednesday morning rolled around, everything in sight was covered with a glaze of ice. That's a usual office day for me, but I wasn't risking my life to go in when there was no real need for it. Besides, I'd already gone in the previous day - and the boss was off, so why bother? The kids had a school delay, which turned into a cancellation, so that cinched it for me.
Thursday morning I awoke to a text message informing that there was another school delay. It was the day for the Christmas "dinner" and annual staff photo at work, so I'd been planning to go in, but considering the delay and the nasty conditions out, I began to rethink that plan. I looked outside and saw that Pooh's car was gone, so clearly he had to work the morning shift at McDonald's. But then I went upstairs, and found that he was home. So what happened? Well, it seems he DID have work, but on his way there at 3:30 a.m., he spun out of control on the ice and landed in a field. He was ok. The car - not so much.
I asked him where the car was, and he informed me that he'd parked in the lot at the local market, figuring that it wouldn't make it up the icy driveway at home. So I went over to the market to check it out. The front quarter panel on the driver's side was crumpled, and there's grass and mud wedged into the tire under the rim. The passenger side appeared undamaged, except that the tire was completely flat and falling off the rim. He drove it all the way back - about 10 miles - on a flat tire. He has a cell phone and AAA - but apparently, in the stress of the situation, he forgot.
So anyway, we had more freezing rain last night, and the roads were just as bad - if not worse - early this morning when he had to drive in again. Fortunately, this journey was uneventful, if extremely slow. There was another school delay this morning, so I didn't go into the office until after I got the girls off to school. By then, the temperature had risen enough that most of the roads were in decent shape.
I got to come home early because I'd used up all my hours. There's still a cold rain falling. The temp is up above freezing at the moment, but it is supposed to drop significantly. Everything is wet, and it'll all freeze over again. We'll just have to see what it looks like tomorrow. In the mean time, I'm in for the day. I stopped and got beer on the way home from work. I'm all set.

1 comment:

Mommyto2 said...

I want snow! Here in Va the temp is in the 60's. Originally from Mi, I love the snow and would love for the kids to see a real snow storm. Guess I'll have to take them up North for that.