"I want, I want, I want ... but that's crazy"

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Another non-weekend

After arriving home at 2 a.m. from work last night/this morning, I tried to start up my computer, only to have it tell me that it couldn't start. I tried to run the startup repair upon prompting. Fail. Try again? Sure. Fail again. Try something else? Ok, how about a system restore? Fail. Again? Fail again. Third try? Finally, I was able to get it started. In the meantime, I'm reading an ebook, and by the time it finally starts up, it's 5 a.m. and I forget why I cared to get on in the first place. All I could think was, "Don't let my computer be dead!" Whew! Thank goodness it survived.

But I had to set my alarm for 8 a.m. My plan was to drive into Sidney at 8:30 so I could be at the animal shelter by 9 to do the paperwork to get our kitten in to the low-cost spay and neuter clinic Monday. $60 - not so low, really, but better than full price.

When my alarm went off, I was able to do some quick mental figuring. Isn't it funny how that happens? I figured, the Manchester United match starts at 10 a.m., so it will be over by noon. The shelter's open until 1. So I can go back to sleep, get up for the match and leave immediately afterward. That would put me in Sidney by 12:30. That was what I ended up doing.

On the drive in to town, my mother called to tell me that her dog was sick, so I shouldn't let the girls play with her if I dropped by. Not a problem. We weren't going anyway. She mentioned too that my stepdad just ignored the poor thing, saying, "Well, what can I do?" They've had that dog for more than 16 years, and technically, she belongs to him. I can't imagine just sitting back and watching her suffer. The girls' mouse died this week. They've only had him for a couple of months, but I couldn't sit and watch him suffer. We had him humanely put down. 

While at the animal shelter, I instantly fell in love with the sweetest, most beautiful big old mutt I'd ever seen, but fortunately my good sense kept me from bringing him home with us. We simply don't have the room for a dog that size, and with two cats, two fish tanks and a frog tank, we don't need more pets either (although, the mouse will probably be replaced. Since we have all the equipment and supplies, it's a matter of $1.69 to replace the mouse itself.)

The girls and I stopped and had lunch out, which we haven't done in quite a while, then made a quick trip to one store for some last-minute school supplies and another for some food (good staples purchased during a one-day sale). 

Tomorrow, I have to work, so I have Monday off (hence, the ability to take advantage of the spay and neuter clinic). I have to have the kitten in to Sidney between 7:30 and 8 a.m., so I have to leave home by 7 a.m. Some day off that is.

1 comment:

Sandee said...

Yep, and the kitty will be mad at you for a few days too. Poor thing, but it has to be done.

Have a terrific day. :)