Dinner: Mexican Pizza

My hectic summer schedule (which shows no signs of slowing for autumn) has prompted me to start making up dinner menus for the week. We've been at this for a few weeks now, and it's been going well.

The advantages are: 1) having a clear grocery list that eliminates random shopping and buying extraneous stuff - keeps the grocery bill down; 2) organizing the evening so I know what I'm making as soon as I finally get home every day; 3) home cooking more meals and avoiding having so many "convenience meals," although we still throw some of those in there, because we actually like them; 4) bringing more variety to dinner.

Since it's working out so well, I thought I'd share a few success stories and recipes, because who doesn't like recipes and easy, kid-friendly meal ideas, right?

This week began with a Mexican Pizza, a variation of an earlier one I'd had on the menu that was a huge success with the kids (and me, too!) I didn't take a picture, but I'll try to do pics with later recipes!

Mexican Pizza

1 Boboli or other prepared pizza crust
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 can refried beans
Taco seasoning (I have a huge container of this I keep around for adding a kick to all kinds of things)
Taco sauce
1 c. shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese

Toppings:
Shredded lettuce
Chopped onions (about 1/4 of one large, sweet onion)
Sour cream
Jalapeno slices

- Preheat oven to 425F. Brown and crumble ground beef; drain. Season with taco seasoning according to directions. (I brown a full pound and reserve half for Wednesday's meal.) Warm refried beans in microwave (I also save half of this for Wednesday.) Season with a little taco seasoning to taste. Spread the half can of refried beans over crust. Spread some taco sauce over beans. Evenly distribute beef over taco sauce. Evenly spread cheese over beef. Pop in oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese is throughly melted and crust is browned as desired.

- Remove from oven and add remaining toppings, or slice into servings and allow each person to add toppings as they wish.

Easy peasy and everyone loves it!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans