Thursday dinner: tuna casserole

I have been sick all week, and it's not been fun. I'd already had Monday afternoon scheduled off work because it was the opening match of the season for my beloved Manchester United, but I was feeling awful by then already. I ended up leaving work Tuesday and Wednesday because I still felt terrible. I'm a bit better today.

Anyway, the menu got a little wonky because of it. (I also have now missed two weeks of spin classes. When I get back to the gym, it'll be like starting over. Ugh.) After making the stuffed meatballs, I said we'd have to find a use for the leftover sub buns. No problem. Last night was pizza subs, made with jarred pizza sauce and whatever toppings we wanted, topped with shredded mozzerella and popped under a low broiler.

Tonight, it's a family favorite: tuna casserole. I don't know how something so simple tastes so good, but tuna casserole night is never a disappointment. Here's my version:

Tuna casserole

1/2 of a 16 oz. bag of extra wide egg noodles
1 can of tuna, packed in water
1 can of cream of celery condensed soup
1/2 can milk
1 t. Weber roasted garlic and herb seasoning (I seriously use this stuff ALL THE TIME)
1/2 t. garlic powder
15 Ritz crackers, crushed
Italian seasoning

Cook the noodles in boiling water per directions on the bag. Meanwhile, in a 2 quart casserole dish, combine  drained tuna (No need to drain completely dry. By the way, I drain the juice into a dish for my cats. Happy kitties!) with soup, milk, seasoning and garlic. Mix well. When noodles finish cooking, drain well and gently fold into soup mixture. Top with crushed crackers and lightly sprinkle some Italian seasoning over the top.

Bake at 400F for about 25-30 mins. or until top is browned as desired.

Makes 4 servings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans