Family ties

I just got a call from my mother. My aunt is dying. She's not expected to last more than a few days at most.

She's the youngest of my mother's biological sisters (she was one of five girls, but my grandparents adopted the two daughters of the second oldest when she was killed in a car accident 40 or so years ago). Mom was quite a wreck this weekend, but she's been dealing with this all now long enough that she's at least able to get through sometimes without breaking down.

I've said before what an amazing mom my mother is. She's the same with the rest of her family. Always the rock. The strong one. The one you can turn to no matter what. She's been doing that through this too.

She told me tonight that my cousin thanked her for always being there for them, and for being there for her through all of this as well. She told me that she told my cousin that she hopes that they will do the same for me when it's her time to go. She said out loud what I've recognized for a long time. "Rachel doesn't have anyone but me (mom). She's got her kids, and she's got me. That's it." That's true. Situations like this one make that even clearer, though it's never a thought that's far from my mind. I have my kids and I have my mother, and that's all I have. But she's got me too.

Comments

Sasha said…
Sending positive vibes to your mom. I hope everyone will be okay.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans