"I want, I want, I want ... but that's crazy"

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Nothing according to plan

I managed to make it to bed at the not-entirely-unreasonable hour of 11 p.m. last night, knowing that I would have to get up at 5 a.m. today in order to get to the office, finish the Troy paper upload to the web site and get back in time to watch the Manchster Derby.

All didn't exactly go according to plan. In fact, nothing did.

I went to bed at 11 but I was still up at 3 a.m. I was completely exhausted from my 4:30 a.m. day, and yet, I couldn't fall asleep for anything.

I did manage to get up and into the office, although I was a bit later than I'd intended. I got there at 6:15 a.m. Still, this would not have been a problem. I'd still have plenty of time to finish the work and get home for the game. Except.... I couldn't log in to the web site. Everything worked perfectly yesterday, and then suddenly this morning, I couldn't log in. I couldn't get past the box in which I had to enter the username and password. It just kept popping back up over and over. I tried logging in to one of the other paper's sites just to see what would happen. Same thing. I couldn't get in. There was nothing I could do. I sent off an e-mail to the editor and went back home, figuring I could try again later and see if the incompetents at the hosting service had managed to sort it all out.

So, I was home at 7 a.m. The game didn't start until 8:30 a.m., so I figured I'd catch a brief rest and get up to watch the game. I set my alarm for 8:20 a.m. After all, I didn't have to go any further than the end of my bed to my desk to start up the computer. The next thing I know, I wake up and it's 9:30 a.m. I'd already missed an hour of the game!

I managed to get my computer started up and fortunately got a good stream right away. The score was 2-2 at that point. Damn! That meant it was already a good, competitive game going, and I'd missed it! Fortunately, it kept going. It was nonstop amazing. Right after I got on, Man United scored and brought it up to 3-2. Woohoo! Then just about one second before the end of the 90 mins., City scored and it was tied again. So they go into four minutes of stoppage time, Fergie makes a substitution which gets them another 30 seconds. And somehow, SIX minutes in Owen scores for Man United, and we win it 4-3! Naturally, the City manager got all pissy about the extra time, but seriously, this happens ALL THE TIME. When they say "four minutes" it means "AT LEAST four minutes" - stoppage time is never, ever exactly what they call it. Sometimes it ends up being 30 seconds longer, sometimes it ends up being two minutes longer. But it's ALWAYS more. So stop whining already. I love Michael Owen, by the way - despite his Liverpool past. :) Not only is he gorgeous (that's him in the pic....), but he's Welsh (that's MY heritage) - and he's old enough that I can fantasize with a totally clear conscience. ;)

1 comment:

Hindleyite said...

What a game that was, one of the best I've seen this season, perhaps only topped by Wigan beating Chelsea 2-1 :D