Wednesday

*This was supposed to go up yesterday, but encountered a computer error and didn't realize it hadn't been posted until just now......

I got a letter today. No, not a letter. I got a subpoena today, ordering me to appear next Wednesday on questions concerning my village taxes. I called the tax office and informed the lady who answered that I had zero tax liability in my village because of the credit for taxes paid to the city where I work. I asked if I could just send the form in again to show my zero liability, and she said, "That's fine. All we need is the form." My liability has been zero for the six years I've lived here. Why the sudden issue now? Anyway, at least I don't have to drive the 40 minutes to the tax office (our village taxes are administered by another city). It was resolved with just a phone call and a quick trip to the post office. I just made copies of my forms and sent them in again. But if a cop suddenly shows up at my door because that lady said I didn't have to show up, I'm not going to be happy.

Comments

carmilevy said…
It's times like this that I wish I could ask folks on the phone to put it in writing and e-mail/fax/carrier pigeon it to me immediately. If I had a dollar for every time someone said something on the phone, and then said something turned out to be, um, false...

Glad you worked it out, though. Threatened legal action ain't fun.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans