Monkey muffins! Yum!

I got up this morning and I had a taste for something yummy and cinnamony (is that a word? No matter. You get the idea.)

I didn't want to put too terribly much effort into it, so I thought about the ever-popular staple: monkey bread. The only problem with that is that it takes a little too long to cook (I wanted it pretty much NOW), and it makes too much for just me and the kids to snack on. Monkey bread is best when it's fresh from the oven.

So I improvised. I made monkey muffins instead. I didn't measure a thing, but the beauty of it is that it's pretty much foolproof. Here's the gist if you want to try it out:

Spray eight cups of a muffin pan with cooking spray, and preheat the oven to 350 (the tube says 400, but keep it at 350 - the texture's better and the sugar won't scorch).

Pop open one tube of regular (country-style or homestyle NOT flaky layer) biscuits. Cut each of the 10 biscuits into quarters. Put about a half cup of sugar and a generous amount of cinnamon into a plastic bag and mix well. Coat each biscuit quarter with the mixture. Put five pieces into each muffin cup.

Melt about a quarter of a stick of butter in a small saucepan and stir in brown sugar (I think I used about a half cup or three-quarters or so - adjust to make a thick syrup). Heat it thoroughly to boil while stirring constantly. Don't scorch the sugar, but you want it to melt thoroughly to make a nice, sticky syrup instead of a grainy one. Pour over the biscuit pieces.

Bake for about 15 minutes then turn the muffins out onto a plate or platter.

It's super easy, quick and great for that spur-of-the-moment sweet tooth!

I wish I'd thought to take a picture, but we ate them all too quickly! Oh well, maybe next time....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans