Nightmare

I had the most horrifying dream last night, and I have no idea where the idea came from. I'd almost forgotten about it until I just visited a blog, and the writer's post for today was about a strange dream she'd just had.

Here's mine:

Munch and I were about a block from our house waiting at the curb in front of a house for what apparently was the end of some kind of dog race through town. The woman who lives in the house was throwing out chunks of bone and meat that were landing all around us, and we were stumbling around trying not to step on it. She started screaming at us to move just as we heard the dogs coming. Somehow, we hadn't heard them until they began to come around the corner. For some reason, Munch wouldn't move, and I was yelling at her to get out of the way. I had to half drag/half carry her, as she'd made herself stiff refusing to move. We managed to get about halfway across the yard, along the curb, toward the dogs, just behind the edge of a hedge that isn't really there in real life. Then she fell. She lay on the ground, perfectly fine but still refusing to move for some reason. The pack of dogs - huge, vicious ones, not the typical racing types - raced by the hedge toward the scattering of meat and bone. I was still trying to move Munch and began to fall, tripping over her, as I looked over my shoulder and saw that one of the dogs had spotted us and veered toward us. It lunged at me as I fell over Munch and shielded her from attack rather than attempting to defend myself. The massive, snarling, black dog bounded through the air and struck, sinking its teeth into the back of my neck as I heard screams all around me. My perspective left my body, and I was viewing the scene. Munch was safe, but I was mangled. My head was half torn from by body, and the dog was ripping into my arms and legs as the shock of it woke me.

When I opened my eyes, my heart was pounding, and the image was seared into my brain. Somehow, the dream was completely forgotten this morning - until I read that post. Now, I don't think I will ever forget it again.


Comments

Bader Jundi said…
thats kindda scary, is it just a random dog or a dog you know
Goddess said…
Nope, not a dog I know. Just a figment of my unconscious imagination. I don't have a problem with dogs, either. They've never scared me in any way. I don't know where it came from.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday dinner: Garth Brooks' mother's cabbage rolls

As promised, my rant against the gay marriage bans